Thursday, May 17, 2012

May Poetry Packet

From the May Poetry packet I liked Shakespeare's 130, Harryette Mullen's Dream Cycle, and Ted Berrigan's XVI.

I really liked how tongue-in-cheek Shakespeare's sonnet was. On one hand he is saying that his love is completely independent of his mistress's looks, which can be seen as something positive, but he preceded that by telling the reader that there is nothing particularly attractive about her. In fact he uses words with negative connotations to describe her, words such as "wires" for hair and her breath "reeks." She sounds charming.

Dream Cycle caught my attention with one phrase:
"It could freeze my teeth
crystallize a sigh"
I find the idea of freezing a sigh in place is very intriguing. I'm guessing that the ice cream truck is symbolic for the vehicle or method to remember your dreams.

XVI by Ted Berrigan talks a lot about ice and I liked the adjectives he used to describe it: "troubled ice," "doom ice," and "ice laden." I think he is referring to the sun with a feminine gender in an arctic setting and I'm not quite sure what "Smother of a sword" refers to, but I found his language interesting.

1 comment: